Of the core tenants at Lineage in our idea of wellbeing is movement. Sports, exercise, stretching, and micro movements should be part of your routine. Some of us workout more than others, and some of us sweat a little more than others. Some sweat a lot more. Gym junkies, yogis, and endurance athletes need to be extra careful about hydration. Boy, do you sweat. Here's why that's wonderful and a few simple ways to replenish after a good sweat.
Yet it is a crucial, delicately complicated outflow system, collaborating with many other body networks. It takes energy to sweat, and it's a complex process. Sweating is an essential component of your body's internal thermostat; it allows you to cool down fast, which keeps your organs, blood, and tissues from overheating. Sweating is one of the many ways your body naturally detoxifies; it helps remove certain compounds from your bloodstream. It's also the delivery system for your natural pheromones -- scented "sex hormones: that influence whom you attract and whom you're attracted to. Sweat is produced in glands that are located in your skin's dermis - the layer directly underneath the part of your skin you can touch.
The exact composition of sweat varies from person to person and from day to day. But it's approximately 99% water. What's the other 1%? The electrolytes sodium and chloride, as well as ammonia, sugar, and small amounts of trace minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, and certain water soluble vitamins. In order to properly replenish what we lose from sweat, we need not only to replace water but to also replace electrolytes.
Kayla went out for a 2-hour run (outdoors, warm temperature at 83°F [28°C], 55% humidity). During this run, she managed to consume 8 oz of fluid. Her pre-run bodyweight was 126 pounds. After returning from her run, she now weighs 123 pounds.
To calculate her fluid loss:
Consuming 7 oz of fluid every 15 minutes during her run, however, may not be practical. This volume of fluid (almost a full cup) may be too much to tolerate. Therefore, it is good practice to use this as a guide rather than an exact amount. Use trial and error to figure out what's right for you.
At Lineage we recognize that the maintain and replacing minerals such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium are fundamental to our body's every day function.
Magnesium is one of 7 essential macrominerals that the human body needs in large quantities -- and here's the catch -- our bodies don't product it -- it must come from outside sources. And, most American's don't get enough of it!
Magnesium is one of the only minerals that can be absorbed transdermally. In addition, to being ingested, it can also be applied directly to your skin -- and often with better results. It promotes all around better health, aides in stress reduction, better sleep, muscle recovery, and pain relief.
While imperative to overall whole-body health, magnesium is also an athlete's best friend. It's effects on muscle function, recover, and performance are huge. Lineage's Daily Balance Performance and Recovery Cream is custom formulated to include the magnesium (and a stack of other super beneficial ingredients) to help you boost recovery and realize your full potential.